2013年7月17日星期三

To Avoid Giving Characters Specific Ages


I'm really distracted by the "decade since the Exodar crash" at the beginning, given Blizzard's tendency to squish the timeline in official sources, rather than draw it out. Even if the official timeline hasn't been updated since 2007,  Buying world of warcraft account the stories and novels have been pretty clear on things like Anduin's aging to mark time passage since end of BC/beginning of Wrath until now (and consider that pre-LK Arthas met his friend Varian's infant son, too). That whole thing with "one year of lore time between expacs" still annoys me, since the two-ish years real time we keep ending up with isn't that bad. Even in real time, it's more like a half decade. ;) The unofficial timeline cited in that KYL post at the time tended to draw timelines out just a tad too far, I think.

I'm less annoyed by new night elves claiming to have grown up on Teldrassil though, as now in game, yeah, a young child could have spent most of their formative years into young adulthood there, WoW accounts for sale especially if we use real time of WoW's activity (and it started canonically 4 years post-Hyjal, making it something like 10-12 years!) instead of compressed "official timeline."

Either way though, with the mess of Warcraft's canon and timeline issues, "close enough" is usually good, and why I try to avoid giving characters specific ages ("late teens" "early 20s" "middle aged" "young adult" is often what I go with, especially in non-Human/drastically different lifespan having races we don't have a lot of age lore on--like draenei).

On the topic of the guild spotlighted here, it sounds pretty awesome. I love my draenei characters! I have a mage, a shaman I rarely play, and a new monk I am loving to pieces; finding stories for them is a lot of fun. One of my RP guilds has quite a few draenei, and we've tried an all or mostly draenei guild before on my server; lack of defined lore at the time (and this was in BC!) made it hard for some people. If I ever poke my head into Wyrmrest, I'd love to give Kharanei a look, even just to interact socially.

I like to go with Velen being super special in his connection to the naaru, and other draenei are long lived due to the Light and their inherent magic, but "immortal" is not something I tend to like. 

New draenei characters come out of a stasis pod at the start of their zone; with running away from Legion over the centuries, resources gotta be tight and keeping people safe is a big thing, so put some people in stasis for a time; maybe that's how folks from Argus are still alive? World of Warcraft accounts Depends on how literal the idea of Sargeras offering power and immortality to the original Eredar is, too.

See, now you guys got me musing on timelines and draenei lore. 


没有评论:

发表评论